Tuesday, August 11, 2009

What Sucks and What Doesn't


Photo from http://www.thetripwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/holly3d.jpg

You know what sucks? When you are totally psyched to see a new band you love perform live - and your editor tries to get you on the list, too - and when you get to the show you hear that a) it's sold out and b) the only press on the list are from Fader. Sigh...

You see, I really wanted to see Holly Miranda at Monkeytown on Monday night, but it was not meant to be. So, instead I had to listen to her on MySpace all day yesterday. I think I like what the NY Times has said about her. Due to the events of Monday night, though, I can't say whether she is "ferocious" live. (I'm looking at you, Fader!) And when I wrote to her PR folks asking whether she had any more shows planned in the New York area the response was: "soon :)". I'll be waiting, I guess. In the meantime, can I say that she is transcendent? Or enigmatic? Like Feist, but maybe more gritty? Take a listen and hear for yourself. I for one, have got the Miranda bug.

A few more things that don't suck: Das Racist and Ear Farm.



From http://thenightbirdcalls.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/das-racist.jpg


Das Racist, if you haven't heard the buzz about them from here or here, are a Brooklyn-based hip hop duo. Yes, yes we love "Combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell", but what I also really like are the following: this video, and they seem totally smart and socially conscious. (I like that stuff...)


From http://earfarm.com/post/earftpreview.jpg


Ear Farm is a musiczine and I can't believe I've gone this long without talking about it. It's really very good. Please check it out, make comments and give those dudes props. Check out my work there, too!

Oh, also, Fader doesn't suck. Fader, if you are reading this, please know that I wasn't angry at you for being on the Monkeytown list Monday night. Rather, I was angry that you got on the list before me. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment