Monday, January 25, 2010

?uestlove Explains the Complicated Side of Playing Music

I read different blogs. Sometimes I like to read New York Magazine, too. Today, the mag had a little blurb about all the hullabalooh between the late night shows. Too bad Conan's leaving; but you know he's gonna rock out someplace else while Jay puts all the oldies to sleep (my personal opinion).

Anyhoo, apparently, drummer ?uestlove of The Roots, and now band leader for Jimmy Fallon, was really inspired by the fact that Max Weinberg and the Max Weinberg Seven played "Lovely Rita"on Conan's final show. Why? Because of copyright and permission costs. It turns out that playing that one song cost NBC $500K. Wow! Now I realize why I had to study copyright law in music so much in college...

See ?uest's explanation here.

No comments:

Post a Comment