Thursday, May 14, 2009

Three great bands you may not know of...yet!

Oh, readers! Isn't learning about a great band sometimes like falling in love? The obsession with seeing them as much as possible - or in this case, listening. Talking about them constantly to your friends. Daydreaming about them... All of it leaves you ecstatic and wanting more.

While these three bands are not necessarily new, they are certainly new to me. And they've got my full, undivided attention.


First, we've got Dinowalrus, based in Brooklyn, NY who describe themselves as Ambient/Thrash/Reggaeton. Sounds confusing? It's not. They are damn good - just listen... Go on!
You'll notice hints of ambient, droney bliss, occasional bursts of punk and, yes, some tribal reggaeton-ish rhythms. (I can tell - I'm Puerto Rican!) It's thinking music, but also a little tongue in cheek. Keep an eye out for my interview with Pete - from the band - coming soon!


Next, another band based in Brooklyn, by way of Michigan. Yes, Awesome Color came a long way to enchant our ears with their unique brand of old-school, crunchy psychedelic punk circa 2009. I love this band. And I'd never have learned about them if it weren't for Dinowalrus! Take a listen, and don't tell me you aren't hooked!


Finally, we've got So Cow. This one-man band, consisting of Brian Kelly, comes out of Tuam, Ireland (apparently it's in Galway). He plays good old fashioned pop. I hear hints of early Beatles and Weezer, but with the occasional song sung in Korean. (He lived in South Korea for a while teaching English.) Here's an interview with So Cow himself!

I'm still scouring for new bands. Until then, check out Dinowalrus and So Cow at Cake Shop on Friday May 15th!

1 comment:

  1. Hey nice post V, very good succinct summary of each group, i can feel your enthusiasm, and you plug their upcoming show! well done :)

    ReplyDelete